"Engine Heart: Part 1" is the first of two episodes of the Engine Heart interlude, and the first episode overall of the interlude series Tales from Salt Bay. Run by Eric Reichert, this episode aired live on October 27, 2020 on the Saving Throw Twitch channel, and is archived on the YouTube channel. Of note, this episode was streamed remotely due to precautions taken during the COVID-19 pandemic.
In the future, humanity built automatons to make every aspect of their life easier - but humanity is now gone, and the automatons remain doing their jobs for nobody in particular.
The robot crew of what used to be a popular children's restaurant is gradually realising that the children they served might never return, and discover that other automatons they work with are considering mutiny because of the extreme charging restrictions in place to conserve dwindling energy.
- The restaurant Captain Balmyar's Pirates of Salt Bay - a children's entertainment and birthday party venue shaped like a large wooden ship.
Character & Cast Appearances
- Eric Reichert as the Programmer (GM)
- Aabria Iyengar playing Ticky-Nicky Prizebot, a prize dispensing machine
- Teri Gamble playing Teeball, the skeeball machine
- Havana Mahoney playing Baycorp Amusement Unit Salty Pete model .01, the main entertainer and mascot
- NegaOryx playing Holly Hug-a-Bear, a children's entertainment soft bear unit
- Majordomo Ebris - The Manager of Captain Balmyar's restaurant, who has sent a number of groups of automatons out to find out why the power is decreasing, and subsequently to find out what happened to the previous missions when they did not return.
- SAL (Sanitation and Laundering) - A janitorial automaton who is frustrated by not having enough power to do his job
- Scraps - A mysterious figure within the walls who warns SAL that the Manager is hoarding power for themself.
- Carpet Sharks - Like Roombas, solely responsible for keeping the carpets clean